Apex Mountain View

Apex Mountain View
Apex Mountain View with Cirrus Clouds

The Famous Five

The Famous Five
Atop the Pinnacle at Rockridge Canyon

Wreck Beach Sunset

Wreck Beach Sunset

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

123 Main StreetSportstown
British Columbia
V2A 1W3

May 16,

2011

Mr. Kleats
Basketball Coach
123 Main Street
,Sportstown, British Columbia
V2A 1W3



Dear Mr. Kleats,

I am the father of Joey Joyce, one of your players on your basketball team. First of all, I would like to thank you for putting the time in to be these boys’ coach. I know that I cannot set a lot of time away from my work to be with the team so I fully appreciate your role as their coach.

Unfortunately, this does not express the meaning of this letter. As a relatively frequent attendee of your team’s games and practices, I have noticed some concerns that relate to the performance and attitude of your team.

I realize that you have other responsibilities outside of basketball, but I have noticed that you are often late for games and practices. The concern I am voicing is the fact that this doesn’t encourage integrity and responsibility in the young players. I have also noticed that practices are fairly unorganized and don’t focus on the players’ technique. I’m sure that this is just because of the lack of time to set up constructive drills. Perhaps you could find an assistant coach to help you with time management and help organize practices. This would help relieve the stress of having to rush other responsibilities you may have.

Another concern that has brought itself to my attention is the way in which you address the aspect of winning. Do you think since these kids are only grade 7 that it is important to set them up for the future with a positive outlook on not only the objective of the game, but of the fluidity of a team environment? These kids need to learn about sportsmanship and gain a healthy competitive attitude. Also, I have seen that certain members of your team play more frequently than others. As grade 7 players, it's important that they grasp the concept of integration and a humble sense of pride for their potential future athletic careers in high school. I recommend that you ask the players how they feel about sports and work to build their genuine spirit of the game by establishing all the players as equals. They all deserve a chance. 

As a father yourself, I’m sure you understand these concepts. I just wanted to let you know that these concerns need to be addressed.

I look forward to speaking with you in the future and continuing to assist you in any way I can.

Regards,

Joel Joyce    

No comments:

Post a Comment